Monday, May 25, 2009

Sri Lanka Trip - Day 10 : Coming home

There was suppose to be air-con private buses that goes from Kandy to the airport, but we could not find the buses. In the end, we took a intercity bus that was heading to Negombo.

There were no more seats when we got up the bus. I was a little worried because I was still feeling a little sick and was worried that I might not be able to stand for the whole journey. The journey is reported to be 3-3.5 hours. However, we had a rather crazy driver that were going at a rather crazy speed and over-taking other vehicles very zealously. The plus side was that the speed kept the air circulating in the bus and we got to airport in under 2.5 hours.

The bus did not actually stopped at the airport. We were let off at a bus station (Aweriwatta) and the airport were no were in sight. We asked around and found that there was a free shuttle bus from the bus station to the airport. It turned out that the bus station was really just outside the airport. We had to clear more security checks as we enter the airport.

It was only about 11:30am when we got to the check-in area. Our flights leave at 2pm so we still have plenty of time for a meal and some last minute shopping (there was a Buddhist bookshop where I bought a book and 2 stone-carved stupas. I didn't really wanted the stupas but then the shopkeeper told us that the proceeds would go towards some charity).

The plane was moving towards the runway when a passenger asked to get off. (We later found out that his father had just passed away). The plane taxi'ed back to the terminal and we had to wait while the crew dig out his check-in lugguage. The passenger was only let off the plane after his check-in lugguage was found. After that, all the passengers had to identify all the bags and lugguage in the overhead compartments. It was then that the possibility dawn on me that this could be a rouse to plant a bomb in the plane...

However, what worried me was my fever. Sheung had a thermometer and the reading was 37.5 degrees celcius. That's just a slight fever I guess, but then there was a swine flu alert going on and I was not sure if I won't be quarantine upon arrival. In the end, I walked passed the fever detectors at the airport without being stopped.

As much as I enjoyed the trip, it was still good to be home again.

No comments: