Sunday, July 26, 2009

Simply be

I really like what Janadas Devan wrote in The Straits Times today:

"Bad teachers insist. Good teachers show. Exceptional teachers are."

I think that is so true when it comes to spiritual practice as well.

The bad practitioners are the ones who insists that others should behave in a certain way. The good ones show the right way through their own speech and actions. But the real practitioner simply is. In body, speech and mind, the real practitioner is at one with the spiritual path.

I have realized for a long time that that's something I could not find. Sometimes, I find that if I do something kind, it was not because of a spontaneous kindness. Rather, it was a result of a intellectual reasoning. I thought through it and decided that it would be a kind and the right thing to do, then I do it. And frequently, I lost the opportunity to do the right thing because I paused too long and think too much.

I have met people whose virtues is really part of his being. He/she simply is.

I think that would be a lofty goal.

No comments: