Friday, November 13, 2009

Kamma and my love life

This is a sidetrack on the topic of Kamma.

There was a guy who was interested in me, but I was not particularly keen in him. However, what happened was he totally blew his chance over a discussion on Kamma.

I could not remember what lead to the discussion about Kamma, though it lead to his declaration that everything is due to Kamma.

But that's not true, I countered, there are other Niyamas besides Kamma.

He had never heard of the Niyamas. So I started explaining the Niyamas -- based on what I understood from some of the Buddhist texts. Yet, he insisted everything is due to Kamma, and a argument ensued.

Finally, he asked me whether I meditated or not.

I said no.

There, he said, you are just an intellectual Buddhist. You have no direct experience and insight from meditation. You are just regurgitating stuff from the text books.

He blew his chances.

OK. OK. I admit. I was being egoistic and defensive. I took the accusation of being an "intellectual Buddhist" as grave insult (I did then, though now I would not. But that's another topic for another day).

So what's the significance of this?

1. It shows that many Buddhists are ignorant about the Niyamas and many believes everything is due to Kamma.

2. Meditation is important to Buddhists

3. If you want to date me, don't make the same mistake! (haha!)

But really, the past few posts are just a sharing of my understanding of Kamma. It is not insight gained from the jhannas. It may not completely correct either. However, I think there has been so much misconceptions about Kamma that it deserves a discussion from a different perspective.

No comments: