Friday, April 5, 2013

Vegetarian in Taipei - Around Taipei Main Station and Shin Kong Mitsukoshi

If you are at the Taipei Main Station, there are actually many vegetarian choices.

Within station's underground mall, there is a vegetarian eatery serving simple dishes cheaply. It is located at K area underground near exit Z3.

宥佑素食坊, 台北捷运站前地下街17-3号


This is what I had when I was there 2 years ago -- croquette curry rice with 2 side dishes.


This trip I found that along the Huai Ning street just across from the Taipei West Bus Station, there are a few vegetarian eateries. And you can have your vegetarian dumpling fixes here! Unfortunately, I did not get to try at any of the eateries this time.

However, I found two vegetarian places in the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi shopping complex.

I was actually looking for Daily Smile restaurant, when I found my way into the B1 food court in the complex. I was with a friend who wasn't keen on vegetarian food. So we settled at the food court. I was looking for vegetarian food and passed by a stall that seemed to sell meat dishes but looked like they had vegetarian options. When I asked them, I was surprised that they told me it is a vegetarian stall! The reason was that the dishes on display certainly looked meaty enough.


This is the menu. The prices are quite ok. Each order consists of the main course (in the pictures) plus a bowl of rice, drinks and 3 side dish. However, I got there late and had no more side dishes. I was charged NT100 for the main course plus rice and drink.



This is the stall. Legosu. 乐果.


Pork ribs in a hot plate. I didn't realize it is mock meat initially.

I had a hard time trying to decide what to eat. Everything looked interesting and good. I finally settled on this Hakka preserved vegetable with "roast pork" (梅干酱肉烧). I like Hakka preserved vegetable. Unfortunately, it turned out to be rather disappointing. The preserved vegetable's flavour was washed out and I didn't like the sauce. I should have gone for the mushroom pot instead. 


After I had placed my order, I noticed that they had cards for the Daily Smile vegetarian restaurant. (微笑元素). I asked where they are located and was surprised that it was just one floor down at B2 in the same building. This restaurant serve baked rice, spagetthi, pizzas, "steaks" and hot pots. So it will be suitable for someone looking for some western vegetarian food. This is the website of the restaurant: http://www.dailysmile.com.tw/

In addition to these 2 vegetarian restaurants, there is also an stall selling Indian food in the B1 food court. Cafe India is not vegetarian stall, but it half of the menu is vegetarian. So Indian friends do have a choice too.




If you at Taipei Main Station and not sure where to get vegetarian food, do check out Shin Kong Mitsukoshi basement 1 and basement 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unlike Malaysia and Singapore,find vegetarian food is not easy!Not in Taiwan.They are everywhere and inexpensive too!I have tried some of these but cannot recall their names.