Friday, August 15, 2008

The week in passing

Angbao Inflation


Yesterday, there was a report on My Paper about "inflation" of wedding gift money.

It was reported that with prices going up, some wedding banquets costs as much as $1200 per table (of 10) at five star hotels. Hence the angbao inflation.

I find the logic some what convoluted. Since when are guests expected to pay for the newly weds lavishness?

Typically, guests would like to help the couple defray the costs by give a gift money that is about the per head price of the banquet. In old times, such gift moneys goes a long way towards helping the poor folks. Certainly in my parents time, it was so, for they were too poor to even pay for a few tables of feast at the neighbourhood restaurant for family and friends.

But what I find disturbing is for couples to have grand and lavish banquets AND expect the guests' angbaos to match it.

I say, if you want a lavish wedding you be prepared to pay for it. I am not going to pay for your extravagance. If you want five star and all, you make sure you can afford it. There are plenty of alternatives for those can't afford it.

It is not that I begrudge a gift -- for my close friends I still give angbaos that are "above market rate". And that's regardless of the venue and setting, even if it is just a simple buffet lunch after a solemnization at a temple or a church wedding.

I am just not willing to pay for others' extravagance.

Yes, I know prices are going up. All the more we should keep within our means.



It all about appearances

It was reported that the girl who sang at the Olympics Opening Ceremony who just lip-synching. The reason being that the real singer, 7 year old Yang Peiyi, "was not pretty enough to appear in front of a television audience of billions".

It's just another sign how much premium the society puts on physical appearances, and in this case, almost to the point of sacrificing integrity.


Right here waiting

OK. I confess. I am not immune to physical beauty.

Just early this week, I was snooping around and found the application call Zoosk on Facebook. It's something like a match-making application.

After adding it, I was browsing through the profiles. Given the minimal information available on the profiles (Zoosk does not link back to the Facebook profile), I'm afraid it's purely physical appearance that defines attractiveness.

So I send a few winks and flirts to a couple of guys whom I find attractive (sadly, based on nothing but a photo), though I skipped those that are too young (like 25 and below).

Now I'm waiting for a response....

Oh, it's been a few days. There has been no response. None at all.

I guess that's how things goes. You judge people by physical appearance. People also judge you by physical appearance.

The beautiful people gets all the attention. They need not settle for less. So the it's wishful thinking targeting those that are attractive in the first place.

OK, I guess that's enough of Zoosking around for now.


Gossip: Psst! Did you just break off with your boyfriend?

Over the past week, I saw on Facebook 3 friends who had their status change from being "In a relationship" to "Single".

That piqued my curiosity. But I am too polite to ask. I guess people who just broke off from a relationship are probably nursing a broken heart and do not like kaypohs poking their noses into it.

But it also showed how visible your romantic life can be to your Facebook friends.


Hungry Ghost month 1

I commented to a friend that there are plenty of headless people around in Trevvy and Fridae.

My friend commented, "Don't scare me! It's the Hungry Ghost month!"

Ha! They are scary indeed. I normally don't bother with headless people. I broke the rule once and had a blind date with someone whose profile picture did not had his head.

Bad experience. I won't break the rule again!

It's not that he's ugly or hideous. In fact, he was quite presentable.

It's just that those who are too scared to show his face for whatever reasons are just not my type.


Hungry Ghost month 2

Is the economy month really bad?

The Hungry Ghost month this year seems rather muted.

Typically this is the time when you see people making offerings everywhere and burnt paper offerings would be flying all over the place.

But it seems to me that there isn't that much of it this year.

Are people cutting back offerings because of bad economy? Or have that many people changed their religious beliefs?

Parades and Parades

It was the Olympics Opening ceremony last Friday night, and then the Singapore's National Day parade on Saturday night.

I caught bits and pieces of both with a yawn.

Such a waste of resources. So much pomp and grandeur and to what purpose?

I know China wants to showcase to the world and put up a grand show. But was it necessary to go to that extent?

As for the NDP, I guess it's a celebration. But I'm just a little jaded. Seriously does a grand NDP make people more patriotic? I think not.


Indignation

With the nation is celebration, it's also the time some gay people show their "indignation".

This year's program seems rather low key and muted compared to last year's. (Is it really the economy?)

But seriously, after so many years of being "indignant", perhaps it's time to drop that and move on to something else.

What's the point of being indignant if we gay people can't be proud of ourselves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On indignation, despite the name, the activities running under this banner have moved on and taken on a different direction. Almost hardly anyone else see it as an indignant action and if you care to look at the activities, the people who joins and the results of these activities, you will notice that they are hardly indignant anymore.

People have already moved passed that idea, why still continue to hold on to that view point and missed seeing the bigger picture?

Live would be so much better without have to one-up on others all the time.

Anonymous said...

Responding to saltwetfish's comment -

I don't think this is about trying a one up, on 'others'.
It is about different points of views. It is good to voice out the difference in views because not everyone in the community share the same view and we are really not a homogeneous 'one' - nothing wrong with that really and we shouldn't allow this to be divisive. And in the spirit of pride and inclusivity, we should also have a space for views that are different from ours.

namkhim said...

saltwetfish,

I agree with you that the participants are probably not indignant, but I do not agree that the organizers have moved on, simply because Indignation is still called, well, Indignation.

Anyway, I will think about your comments further.

Anonymous said...

Nam Khim,

The organisers not moved on from being indignant? sorry, but this is a accussation that you need to contemplate more deeply about, especially, when you don't really know the effort the people have put in to make things work the right way and the commitment of the people to make the programs useful, educational and insightful.

The divisiveness comes when one refuse to recognise any good efforts just because one "perceive" it to be run by indignant people, loaded with valued judgement without an proof. And the divisiveness come when people go around spreading untruth about what indignation (despite the name) program really stand for, despite the proof the programs themselves.

If being truthful, speaking out for inequalities and pushing boundaries are indignant activities, then probably staying home is the least indignant of all activities.