Thursday, December 31, 2009

Backpacking in Thailand - 27 Dec 09

Day 9 - Chiang Mai : Cooking class, Wat Sri Suphan, Sunday Market



I got up early to attend the cooking class. As I was walking around, I chanced upon the Chiang Mai Marathon that was going on. And I saw a fairy finishing the race.
















Vegetarian cooking class at May Kaidee's

I love Thai food and always wanted to learn how to cook Thai food.

Sure I can whip up a pot of Tom Yum soup easily using the bottled Tom Yum paste. But those just aren't the share as the soup that is cooked from the raw ingredients. My attempts at cooking green curry at home also failed miserably.

So the cooking class was one of my main itinerary for this trip.

I went to May Kaidee's at 9am. I was the only student that day. (May Kaidee's only take 4 students for each class) The teacher was the owner of the restaurant Duen (May's sister. May's the owner of the Bangkok restaurants of the same name).

I was served a breakfast of tea and a fruit salad before we head to the market. Duen introduced the vegetables and ingredients, most of which I am already familiar with. At the market I saw many tourists from other cooking classes as well.

We got back to the restaurant and Duen showed me how to cut the vegetables and prepare the ingredients. And then we started cooking.

The cooking is actually very family-styled. We cooked a total of 12 dishes. We used similar ingredients for most of the dishes, changing the spices for different dishes. Initially I was a little disappointed. But then I realized that this was actually good for easy home cooking. The tom yam soup wasn't the best I have tasted but it was still pretty good. The green curry turned up pretty good too.

I think what made the course easy was that I am already familiar with asian cooking. Duen commented that most Westerners had problem with stir frying as they are more used to sautee slowly with low heat.

I finished cooking at 12:30pm. Sheung had gone for a massage in the morning, while Willy went exploring the temples nearby. They came in and shared with the food I cooked.

For about S$50, the hands-on cooking class was definitely worth the money. In most cooking class in Singapore, you only get to see the teacher cooking. Those hands on classes would be a lot more expensive.

The class gave me a good idea on how to get the taste in some of the Thai dishes. What was good was that they really turn out to be very simple.

I would recommend the class to anyone who is interested in vegetarian Thai food.


After a sumptuous lunch, we took a slow walk back towards Wat Sri Suphan, dropped by a few temples along the way. It turned out that the Thanon Wua Lai, the street leading towards the temple was actually a street of silver crafts and there were many shops selling silver wares.

Back at Wat Sri Suphan, we were able to catch the artisans working on the temple decorations.

Honestly, I did not like the metallic feel of the temple and didn't think very highly of the idea of transforming the temple into a "Silver Temple".

It appeared to be an attempt to claim fame by being the "First Silver Temple" in the world.




For the rest of the evening, we wondered through the Sunday market in the old city. Snacking our way through until it was time to go to the train station to catch the overnight train to Bangkok.

No comments: