Thursday, June 26, 2008

Carbon Footprints

There is article in today's The Straits Times called "Carbon Footprints: Fast talk, slow action" by Verlyn Klinkenborg.

I find it interesting when the author says: "Carbon footprint" is to your physical being what "soul" is to your spiritual being.

Carbon footprint is a measure of a person's physical impact to the environment in terms of the amount of carbon used/released as a result of a person's lifestyle and daily activities. It is a new concept that has caught on quickly with the growing awareness about the need to conserve the natural environment.

However, as Verlyn puts it, "it is vastly easier to find new words than it is to overturn old habits, and all too easy to mistake the ubiquity of the new carbon-speak for substantive change."

If carbon footprint is to our physical beings what soul is to our spiritual beings, then we need to pay special attention to it as much as we pay attention to our spiritual well-being. And I think they are related. A person who cares for his own spiritual well-being would tend to care for the environment he lives in as well.

Talk is easy, but habits are difficult to change.

Let me see what are the things I do conscientiously to reduce my carbon footprint:

  1. Being vegetarian. (Meat requires a lot more resource to produce and has more adverse impact to the environment than plant food).
  2. I did not install air-conditioners when I moved into my new house. I only switch on the fan on nights that are unbearably hot.
  3. When bathing, I reduce the water flow, avoid hot showers when possible or set it to a low temperature.
  4. I bring bags with me when I go grocery shopping and avoid getting plastic bags as much as possible.
  5. I bring a lunch box to the stalls to pack my meals.
  6. I always use my own mug in the office to get drinks, instead of using disposable cups.
  7. I use the public transport instead of driving a car.(Hmm... though that's largely because of money...)
Oh gosh... I can't even list 10 things....

No comments: