Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A pair of jeans and the Middle Path

How much would you pay for a pair of jeans? And at which point does it deviate from the moderation into the extreme of over-indulgence?

Just a few days, I happened to be talking about clothes with a friend and the price of our jeans was a stark contrast. I was wearing a pair of Lea jeans which I bought last year on a business trip for US$16. He was wearing some branded jeans which cost more than US$100 -- and it was bought during a sale, the original price was more than US$300.

My friend thinks that clothing is a part of a person and advised that if I dressed better, perhaps I could have better luck getting a partner. I can't say I agree with that. As far as the saying "Clothes maketh the man" goes, I only think it's only a matter of presentation and does not define a person's character. Certainly, a good appearance makes a good impression. But I think dressing decent does not mean dressing expensively.

In fact, I rather like my pair of $16 Lea jeans. And Lea is a brand too! Actually most of my jeans are Levi's which I guess are branded jeans. But I got them all during business trips for US$25-$30 each, which is less than S$50.

Of course, if I were to stint, I could go for cheaper jeans (I happen to have 2 pairs of Hang Ten jeans which costs $5 each. Got them in a warehouse clearance sale) or even go for second hand jeans. But I am quite happy with these -- I don't have to feel compelled to stint further and I don't feel inadequate with these either. This is my Middle Path.

I recall the days when I was young. I grew up on clothes which other people did not want. They were not always nice and sometimes I really hate those clothes. Once in a while I get some nice clothes and I will keep to those till they are really worn out. I remember I had a pair of jeans which I wore until they were really faded. When a friend commented on it, I said I like faded jeans -- which was not exactly true when later I reflected upon it.

Because I had less before, I appreciate what I have now more. I thus try to moderate my materialistic cravings. My belief is that the more we get used to creature comforts in life, the more difficult it is to do without. So a little deprivation of material comforts is good.

Thus, as far as the material aspects of my daily life goes, The Middle Path is a conscious choice in material expenditure. That is something, that is easy to grasp and practice.

I realized that one can get philosophical and dogmatic and the Middle Path, debating on what exactly is the "middle", or expounding on the "emptiness" of the path, or be totally attached to it as a concept. But that's hardly useful in daily life.

To me, I think the Buddha's simple Parable of the Lute is easy to understand and apply in daily life as opposed to Nagarjuna's exposition on the Middle Way.

I do not know at what price a pair of jeans which has crossed for moderation into over-indulgence. But I know this much: I am quite happy with my pair of $16 Lea jeans, and that is my Middle Path.

No comments: