Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Active Citizenship

A few weeks ago, a friend who was working on a thesis about sexual identity and national identity interviewed me. During the interview, I told him that I believed that active citizenship is critical in the creation of a national identity. When people have a sense of ownership and feel that they can make a difference in the place they call home, that's when they can have a strong sense of belonging. The problem is that our all-too efficient government has been running so many aspects of our society that majority of the Singaporeans have come to rely on the government to solve every little thing. I told the interviewer that I think the government needs to give more space and let people have a chance to participate in the civic movement.

I had been thinking about this issue since the interview. Then I read and encountered a couple of other things which prompted me to write in to The Straits Times. I commended the ST on the Goodness Gracious Me Project as a lead to say what had been on my mind. The point I really wanted to make was this:

"I always believe that in a mature and gracious society, people must care enough about where we live to put in personal commitments and efforts. As an important part of nation building and construction a national identity, people must be be able to actively participate in improving our own country -- from civic-mindedness to wide ranging of environmental and social issues."
This was what I sent in (verbatim) and the published version had the second part edited away.

It was really a very oblique way of saying "we need more space for civic movement."

It had not occur to me that letters get published online and people get to comment against it. I was a little shock to come across them. The comments were not flattering at all, to say the least.

But I think one person did attacked the critical part of the issue rightly -- is there really space for active citizenship?

I think in politics, it is obviously no. In other areas, I think it's not that there is no space, but rather the government coopted too much to allow a healthy development of active citizenship.

But there is some space, especially in the social aspects, for active citizenship. We have to start somewhere. You can only expand the space if you start working with what's available. If you don't make use of the space, it will only shrink further.


Below was what was printed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct 15, 2008
TOWARDS A GRACIOUS SINGAPORE
ST project deserves praise
Corporations and individuals can do something to improve society, like the ST-led Goodness Gracious Me campaign, which aims to get foodcourt customers to clear their trays after meals. -- ST FILE PHOTO

I WOULD like to commend The Straits Times for launching the Goodness Gracious Me! project.

What has struck me about this project is that instead of waiting for the Government, say the National Environment Agency, to start a campaign, private citizens have taken it upon themselves to initiate a project to improve our own society.

All too often, Singaporeans have depended on government efficiency to fix everything. I always hear people complain and then add that they wish the Government would do something about it.

However, it has been heartening over the past few years to see the budding of civil societies in Singapore by individuals who take the initiative to try and make a difference.

I believe that in a mature and gracious society, people must care enough about where we live to make a personal commitment.

I am certain in the case of the Goodness Gracious Me campaign this must have been the case - that some individuals within the newspaper felt strongly about the situation to initiate the move that culminated in the project.

I compliment The Straits Times for its active citizenship. I think it serves as a reminder that the private sector, both corporate and individuals, can do something to improve our society.

No comments: