Sunday, October 5, 2008

Voyeur at SDBA shower room

Yesterday, I noticed a person loitering at the SDBA shower room. He was there when I got into the shower room and was still hovering around after I finished showering.

In fact, he was still in there even after that last of my teammate was done with showering and "grooming" in front of the mirror.

After rowing so many years, this was the first time I encountered a voyeur at SDBA.

Perhaps some people may like the attention, but I think most people, including gay people as well, really don't like this at all.

Worse, such people only serves to create an even more negative image of gay people and make it harder for gay people to be accepted.

But there will always be such people around. One thing I came to realize is that, as we try to gain acceptance in the mainstream society, we cannot pretend that such people do not exists. There will always be some voyeurs, pedophiles, drug abusers etc around, just as they exists among the straight people as well.

Somethings, like pedophilia, are morally wrong. As for voyeurism, I definitely find it distasteful and rather disgusting, although I can't quite pin-point the ethical problem.

However, the problem I really struggle with is that, perhaps I really shouldn't be over-apologetic for such people. But rather, the straight people should realize that such people exists regardless of sexual identity, and it is not fair to use a few black sheep against the gay community as a whole.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Captain.

Indeed to hear this recent issue from my male straight friend who is regularly involved in DB and I was shunned and speechless to hear other teams being ogled by the ppl into voyeurism in toilet etc. Aiyah I should turn up every Sunday training to scold them. :P

I do encounter some voyeurism from childish gay ppl in public area especially MRT et… Yup yup I will often yell at some ppl if someone/some people trying to stay close to me while stroking at their ugly dicks.

Do you ever thought of telling them not to do it? Or scold them? They should receive warning not to destroy the training area to prevent from being sleazy cruising place. However there are risks that our personal things may be stolen by them?

Is it possible to feedback this issue to the management?

Raymond Lee